Alte Pfarrkirche Son Cosmas und Damian
Show all 5 images
The old parish church is an early Romanesque east-facing complex with a rectangular nave and a semicircular, vaulted apse. The north side is windowless, as in most Graubünden churches. Apse and gable roof is covered with stone slabs. The late Romanesque tower, not in conjunction with the nave, was not built until the end of the 14th century. In 1450, a bell floor with a tent roof was added. The church is dedicated to Saint Cosmas and Damian, twin brothers from Asia Minor.
How did the remote Mon come to these church patrons? Finds from Roman times in the 1st century AD such as ceramics, fibula above the village allow the conclusion that before the opening of the path through the gorge of the Crap Ses, the pass traffic from Tiefencastel via Mon-Del-Salouf moved to Savognin. Thus, soldiers, merchants and pilgrims may have brought the news of the early Christian witnesses here. An even closer source for the cult of Cosmas and Damian was certainly the monastery of Pfäfers, which already in the 9th century had relics of the two holy doctors. Secure documents on Mon can only be found in 1281 in an episcopal income toboggan.
With the PostBus from Chur to Tiefencastel or with the Rhaetian Railway to Tiefencastel. From there take the PostBus to Mon.
Take the Thusis Süd exit and continue in the direction of St. Moritz to Tiefencastel. In Tiefencastel turn right to Mon.
Responsible for this content Tourismus Savognin Bivio Albula AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.