FiliTour Nr. 13: Haus Tgetgel & Ughini

Das Haus Tgetgel und Ughini.
Das linke Sulèrtor von 1735 mit barocken Schnitzereien.

Show all 11 images

Das seitliche Portal in die abfallende Cuort.


Sgraffito - Jewelry at the house

The house Tgetgel & Ughini is a prime example of magnificent sgraffito art in Filisur. The technique was brought to the Engadin in the Renaissance by Italian builders - and further over the pass into the Albula Valley. The heyday of the sgraffitos was between 1650 and 1750.

Sgraffiare means scratching, which is why there is also talk of scratch plaster. A second, usually white layer of lime is applied to the flush-mounted plaster. In the damp state, the ornaments are then scraped out with pointed tools. The underlying dark layer is exposed again. Sgraffiti emphasize the architecture, cover it up or pretend it. Typical motifs are wave bands, rosettes, crosses or animals, all of which have their own symbolic content.

Josin Neuhäusler from Susch in the Engadine still masters the old craft. The painter learned it from his father and also offers sgraffito courses.

In the audio, he talks about the technology and fascination of this craftsmanship. The audio file can be found at the back of the pictures. 

Audio Guide

Haus Tgetgel & Ughini


FiliTour Nr. 13: Haus Tgetgel & Ughini

Dorfstr. 64/66, 7477 Filisur

Responsible for this content Verein Parc Ela.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.