Pfarrkirche Sontga Maria Madlagna
Show all 5 images
The church of Stierva (Ecclesia in Seturuio) is already mentioned in the Imperial Guturbar of the 9th century. The excavations of 1980 have shed new light on the architectural history of Sontga Maria Madla-gna. The archaeological service of Graubünden uncovered the foundations of a first hall church with an apse. The middle predecessor building represented a rectangular nave. The most recent predecessor building brought an extension of the nave beyond the old apse part and witer a rectangular choir. A new consecration is documented for 1357. The tower probably dates from this period.
The new building from 1520/21 is one of the most remarkable works of Graubünden's late Gothic monument collection.
The high altar of the parish church is a masterpiece from the workshop of Augustin Henckel (Schaffhausen). The two-part tabernacle was conceived around 1660 as an intricate temple construction, and a moving web of intricate geometric figures covers the vault of the church in Stierva.
By PostBus or By Rhaetian Railway from Chur to Tiefencastel. From Tiefencastel continue to Stierva.
Take the Thusis Süd exit and continue in the direction of St. Moritz to Tiefencastel. In Tiefencastel take branch Stierva.
Please note the signage on site.
Responsible for this content Tourismus Savognin Bivio Albula AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.