Surava is a Romanesque development settlement built after the 10th century. Located on the territory of Belfort, she shared the fate of this rule. Since 1725 it has formed its own Catholic parish, before it had belonged to Brienz in the church.
In 1869, the political community of Surava temporarily gave up its independence and merged with the neighbouring Brienz to form the municipality of Brienz-Surava. Already in 1883, after only 14 years, the merger partners separated again, and Brienz/Brinzauls and Surava existed again as independent political communities until 31 December 2014. Surava, with a population of around 200, is now almost twice as large as Brienz/Brinzauls with only 104 inhabitants.
The beautiful village is dominated by the church of Son Siari, partly richly decorated houses, which are reminiscent of the building culture in the Engadine. The facade of the church depicts a painting of St. George. The coat of arms of the former municipality of Surava shows the scenery of the dragon killing by St. George and the river band of the Albula.
Responsible for this content Tourismus Savognin Bivio Albula AG .
This content has been translated automatically.