Sontga Maria Madlagna Parish Church
Show all 5 images
The church of Stierva (Ecclesia in Seturuio) is already mentioned in the Imperial Estate of the 9th century. The excavations of 1980 have shed new light on the building history of Sontga Maria Madla-gna. The foundations of a first hall church with an apse were uncovered by the archaeological service Graubünden. The middle predecessor was a rectangular ship. The most recent predecessor built an extension of the ship beyond the old apse part and witer a rectangular choir. For 1357 a new consecration is proven. The tower probably dates back to that time.
The new building of 1520/21 is one of the most remarkable works of the late-Gothic monument collection of Graubünden.
The high altar of the parish church is a masterpiece from the workshop of Augustin Henckel (Schaffhausen). The two-part tabernacle was conceived around 1660 as a complicated temple building, and a moving network of intricate geometric figures covers the vault of the church in Stierva.
By PostBus or By Rhaetian Railway from Chur to Tiefencastel. From Tiefencastel continue to Stierva.
Take the Thusis Süd exit and continue in the direction of St. Moritz to Tiefencastel. In Tiefencastel take branch Stierva.
Please note the signage on site.
Responsible for this content Tourismus Savognin Bivio Albula AG .
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.