Historic Altsdtadt Albula

Alvaschein/Alvaschagn

img_4kq_dfcchbdg
Alvaschein/Alvaschagn has an intact village centre. It is located on a terrace high above the Albula, which has been dammed up to the Solis Reservoir, the Solis Bridge of the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) and the Church of St. Peter in Mistail.

Description

South-east of the village, on a rocky plateau above the dammed Albula at the entrance of the Schinschlucht, is the most famous attraction of the village in a secluded location: the monastery church of St. Peter in Mistail, built around 800 or a little earlier. It is the oldest and best preserved of the type of the Rhaelic Threeapside Hall. In the village of Alvaschein there is a residential building with facade paintings by Hans Ardüser (1557-1614), village school teacher in Lantsch/Lenz, who moved through Graubünden around 1600 as a hiking painter. The village image of Alvaschein/Alvaschagn has been awarded as a "local image with national significance". Also worth seeing are the Solis viaduct of the RhB and the old Solis Bridge, both of which lead at a dizzying height over the Albula, as well as the lowest part of the reservoir, which is accessible via the power station entrance.

Directions

Directions

Alvaschein, village

Map

Responsible for this content Verein Parc Ela.
This content has been translated automatically.